Language: ع E

Buildings We Own

Gharib Morcos

In 1916 Isaac Amiel, a boxing champion at the time, started the erection of his building on Queen Farida Street (now Abdel Khalek Tharwat). The marble was imported from Belgium and the building architecture according to the book Khedival Cairo available in French New Baroque – Art Deco, the building was completed in 1920. In 1956 the building was sold to Morcos family and in the mid 70’s half of sold to the Gharib family. In 1997 one of the workers in a small tailoring workshop, in the mezzanine level, left an iron on the fabric while watching a soccer match. The fabric caught fire and the entire floor was burnt down leading to the collapse of the staircase in the first floor. Due to the shortage of funds and the rarity of the original building material, the staircase was rebuilt using local material and the stairs until this day are different in the first floor.

Gharib Morcos

Gharib Morcos

Gharib Morcos

Gharib Morcos